As a business owner or manager, you know that the most suitable POS system for the operation you’re running can take a lot of weight off your shoulders. What’s more important is that such a system will help you have the best connection with your customers or guests.
Point-of-sale systems are far more than simply a way of accepting payments and process transactions. Modern POS solutions collect important information, improve your overall performance, help you manage your inventory and employees, and give you all the tools to achieve the ultimate customer satisfaction. This is especially important when it comes to hospitality businesses. Just like diners and restaurants, senior living establishments and healthcare centers need a fitting POS system that provides the best services possible.
When you find the most appropriate POS for senior living communities, you will enjoy an extended toolset that will allow you to easily track purchases, and organize your inventory and supply chains. A specific point-of-sale system designed to be implemented in such communities guarantees that menus and orders will be perfectly synced with the preferences of residents and guests, down to the last detail. This is why investing in a dedicated POS for senior living institutions matters. Let’s take a look at the basics and the details.
- 1 Why It’s Important to Find the Most Appropriate POS System
- 2 Key Features of POS for Senior Living Communities
- 3 Senior Living Point of Sale Systems: The Essentials
- 4 The Conclusion
- 5 FAQ
Why It’s Important to Find the Most Appropriate POS System
Any POS system has the basic functionality it’s primarily used for: to accept and process payments. This is the last step of a client’s experience. It must be seamless and fast, meaning that you need to have the most suitable interface and have the means to accept all types of payment methods. Streamlining the checkout process is a must, as it’s part of the service you offer, especially when we’re talking about hospitality businesses, such as senior living communities.
When accuracy and personal preferences matter the most, having a modern POS system is a must. It will help you recognize your clients’ needs and wants. As a result, you will be able to provide them with better services and a broader range of options. Meanwhile, you will increase the efficiency of your operation.
Every POS system is a specific blend of hardware and software and it depends on the type of your operation, the industry it’s in, and all kinds of specifics, such as number of checkouts, for example. If you choose the best system that matches all the criteria you need, you will benefit from a plethora of functionalities, including data harvesting and processing tools, and the management means to control multiple aspects of your operation and reducing costs at the same time. Of course, one of the main reasons why you should opt for POS for senior living communities is providing an easy checkout procedure for all residents to enjoy.
|Best Senior Living Point of Sale Software||EMenuChoice||ServingIntel||MatrixCare||Bepoz||FullCount|
|Pricing||Quote based||Quote based||Starts at $35/month||Starts at $71/month||Quote based|
|Key Feature||Simplifies billing and reduces error||Many integrations with popular software to enhance resident experience||Largest post-acute care technology provider||Excels in multi-location management||Detailed data management|
POS System Software Types
Just like any other point-of-sale solution, a POS for senior living communities needs software to conduct all the activities and processes you expect from it. The software can be either server-based (installed on a physical server at your location) or cloud-based (online), depending on your preferences and the type of operation you’re running in terms of scale and other specifics. While an on-premises POS system would be a working solution for some hospitality businesses, a cloud-based POS for senior living establishments seems to be the better choice. The latter has several advantages. On top of an easy setup, this type of point-of-sale system will allow you to have multiple checkouts linked to a centralized processing solution. When you add the flexibility and mobility of such a system, you begin to realize why it would allow you to provide a far better customer experience for your guests.
A cloud-based POS for senior living facilities is a great choice for its many integration options. Most solutions in this segment of the point-of-sale market can integrate with various third-party hardware, add-ons, and plug-ins. This provides the flexibility you would expect from utilizing such a system. For example, being able to choose an independent payment processor is very important, as it could result in lower fees. It all comes down to choosing the right software that has all the integration options you’d need.
Hardware Components of a POS System
There are several peripheral devices that your operation may require. The possible combinations between them are many and depend on the functionalities you’d like to benefit from. We’ll take a look at the commonly used POS peripherals.
- Checkout tablet/display: This is usually a must-have device that displays the interface of the system and allows for various functions to be managed and executed. When you have mobile checkouts, then the device used can be a smartphone, as long as it’s compatible with the POS software
- Self-service kiosks: These devices are growing more popular, as they eliminate the need for someone behind the counter to complete the process of accepting clients’ payments
- Card reader: Since you need to accept credit, debit, or even gift card payments, you’ll need to opt for a card reader that works with both magnetic stripe and EMV chip cards
- Printer: Printing receipts may not be necessary, as some POS systems for senior living facilities may bet on online receipts, but if you must give paper copies at the end of each transaction, then you obviously need a printer
- Cash drawer: Accepting cash payments is always a must, meaning that a cash drawer should be part of your POS system
Key Features of POS for Senior Living Communities
Retail and hospitality businesses have some things in common, but they are different when it comes to providing their clients with the ultimate customer experience. This is why not just any POS system would be a fitting solution for your hospitality operation. The right system for your operation would improve your chances of growing by simplifying your day-to-day activities related to management, control, and monitoring.
Your new POS for senior living facilities needs to have multiple reporting features and inventory management tools to function properly and handle every aspect of running such an operation. Here’s what should you expect from a proper POS for senior living in terms of features, functionalities, and advantages:
- Detailed reports: As mentioned above, the more reporting tools, the system features, the better. Sales reporting includes data collection and processing related to goods, work hours, staff member performance, margin and profit, costs, and more.
- Reporting overview: All the reporting that your POS for senior living facilities is capable of needs to be processed and presented in an easy-to-understand and usable way. This will save you time and effort, as it would allow you to use the data to up your performance and reduce costs.
- Inventory management: Every POS for senior living needs to handle all aspects related to inventory management, such as updates after every transaction and alerts.
- Customizable service and product array: When it comes to hospitality operations, being able to easily alter your existing suite and menu is a huge advantage, especially when considering clients’ needs.
- Ordering: A fitting point-of-sale solution for senior living communities would be able to provide guests with a smooth ordering process and support automatic reorders when needed.
- Client data management: Much of the above would be impossible without the right tools to collect residents’ data. Customer relationship management (CRM) is how you build healthy relationships with your clients and guests. This is a must if you want to provide them with the best services possible.
- Purchase/order history records: Keeping track of previous orders and purchases would allow you to have an overview of residents’ history and store their personal data. This is how you could provide them with better, even personalized services and offers, making them feel at home.
Having all the functionalities listed above will guarantee that you have an easy-to-use system that’s flexible and agile enough to provide your guests with a seamless ordering and checkout experience.
Senior Living Point of Sale Systems: The Essentials
The need for POS for senior living is obvious to all those who are busy providing services in this sector. It’s not the exact same as with other hospitality businesses, which is why we need to point out all the reasons why having a specific POS for senior living facilities is a must.
Such a point-of-sale solution would help you plan meals, monitor the balances in residents’ accounts, and provide you with a centralized management toolset. Other functionalities of such a point-of-sale system include:
- Available variety of meal plans: When you manage meal plans, you can offer different types of access to ordering, such as points and vouchers.
- Voucher system management: Since we already mentioned vouchers, we need to include them in the essentials list. A POS for senior living communities needs to have an automated system in charge of issuing monthly vouchers and providing residents with frequent balance updates.
- Payment means: A fitting point-of-sale system for senior living establishments must accept cash and card payments.
- Mobility: The system must ensure high flexibility and flawless mobility. This is how you can guarantee the ultimate comfort of your residents and guests. Tableside ordering, for example, is a must-have feature.
- Easy-to-use interface: Given the nature of senior living communities, the main priority is always providing residents with effortless procedures and a smooth customer experience. This is why having a POS for senior living communities that’s easy and intuitive to operate is essential.
- Multichannel management: Some senior living communities are hard to manage due to their scale and multiple locations, meaning that multiple systems, services, and operations must be combined. A bespoke POS system would allow you to combine different activities within the premises you control and manage them using the same accounting software, too. Such a feature could even allow you to offer cashless access to different activities and services to your residents, meaning that they will enjoy their time to the fullest. This is an option that depends on the system’s software and its capabilities.
- Enhanced account management: Any state-of-the-art POS for senior living communities will allow all staff members to have easy access to the profiles of residents, allowing them to respond to their special needs or requests.
- CRM: Most modern POS systems have built-in customer relationship management systems that inform you and your employees about a plethora of aspects. Such a feature would support account tracking, transaction history, balance monitoring, and more.
- Meal management: This is one of the most important aspects of any POS for senior living centers, as it allows employees to design menus with less effort. Staff members would be able to create new configurations in compliance with residents’ profiles and the preliminary set budget.
- Data security: Alongside real-time reporting, the POS system of choice should also have the highest security levels possible, ensuring the safety of transaction information and residents’ private data.
- Multiple facility management: A senior living community requires different types of activities and facilities combined into one seamless experience. This is why having a specific POS for senior living establishments is a must. It would allow for easy management and accounting when different types of activities, services, and products are the subject of payment transactions. This includes in-room service, spa center procedures, and more.
The specific structure of POS systems for senior living communities includes integration with relevant peripherals, typically used by these establishments. For example, in-room orders are usually guaranteed by utilizing a portable POS device, most often a tablet with an intuitive interface. Using such a device lets staff members accept orders from residents and guests from the comfort of their rooms or every other corner of the facility. The tablet interface is always engaging and interactive, allowing for a clear glance over menus and other information related to orders and products. Once a resident makes a choice and places an order, all the information related to this action is distributed to the relevant software sections, such as the customer database sheet, the accounting department, or the activity tracking feature.
POS tablets are not the only useful piece of hardware when it comes to senior living institutions. Self-service kiosks are widely popular as a great way to allow residents to be independent when they need to book a service or order a meal. This, of course, increases customer satisfaction, as it improves residents’ experience. The interactive interface of most kiosks allows for easy access and less effort.
Why Is There a Strong Need for a Specific POS for Senior Living Communities?
One of the best reasons to invest in a POS for senior living communities is the control you will have over multiple aspects of your business thanks to implementing such a system. The rich functionalities of a high-end point-of-sale solution will let you keep track of your sales and current inventory. You will also be able to constantly monitor your revenue.
Choosing a specific POS for senior living institutions has another equally important set of benefits related to analytics, growth, and business planning. By analyzing the activity and preferences of all residents, you will be able to come up with better services and plan with more accuracy. Thus, you will increase your profit and lower your expenses.
Senior living community residents would always make the difference between a fitting POS solution and a universal one. With a feature-rich POS solution, they benefit from seamless transactions and easy ordering processes. Having all the means to make their agenda more pleasant is a must if you’re running such a facility.
How to Find the Most Appropriate POS for Senior Living Institutions
The task of choosing the most appropriate POS for senior living facilities is not a straightforward one. There are several aspects of your operation to consider before opting for a certain POS vendor.
There are things to research and compare when you set your eyes on a few possible options. Everything starts with prioritizing the important aspects of your enterprise. Even if a certain POS solution is described temptingly or seems to have all the bells and whistles possible, it still may not be a great fit for your particular operation.
A great way to see if the POS for senior living communities you intend to invest in would be a good fit and suit every last need you may have is to opt for a free trial. This is how you test the system to its limits. Even if the software you chose based on its advertised list of features seems to be the best solution, it would still be a far better idea to run its trial period. By doing this, you will see how the POS system would integrate with the rest of the software you use and how it would perfect your workflow. Plus, it’s a great way to test if the software interface is as intuitive and easy to use as promised.
There are simple steps to follow if you want to make the right choice and benefit from all the POS features your business needs.
- Study all POS vendors who specialize in hospitality point-of-sale systems. You will quickly separate those with the best feedback and the most recommendations and compare them carefully.
- Set your priorities and make sure that every specific feature you want is available with the POS vendor you’ve chosen for comparison.
- Try to study your own competition and find out the POS software they use. This will give you an idea about certain POS systems’ capabilities.
- Contact the POS vendors you would be willing to collaborate with and see if they have special conditions to offer. Chances are, you might get a custom offer that’s a great fit for your budget.
Additional aspects of finding the best POS for senior living facilities include:
- Integrations with third-party hardware (including your existing tablets and kiosks) and software (accounting programs, for example)
- Costs of additional proprietary hardware and software, if needed: while it might be time-saving to use the vendor’s branded hardware, it may be limiting for your particular operation. Make sure to check the transaction fees
- Compatibility with specific hardware, such as QR code scanners and NFC-compatible terminals
- Contract terms and conditions: some POS vendors would require you to sign a one-year contract, for example
- Third-party payment processor integration: there are specific POS systems that are only compatible with the vendor’s built-in payment processing system
Not all POS systems are the same. Hospitality point-of-sale solutions are growing popular because of their differences from retail POS systems, for example. Senior living communities are specific hospitality operations that aim to provide as much comfort to all residents and guests as possible.
If you’re running such a business or you manage one, then you’ll need all the features of a modern POS for senior living, such as real-time reporting, inventory management, and more. Such point-of-sale solutions are designed to provide the best customer experience possible. Having the means to offer seamless transactions and effortless ordering is a must. Your senior living community’s members will appreciate using intuitive self-service kiosks. They will also recognize your efforts to provide them with better services.
POS technology has advanced a lot in the past decade. Hospitality businesses are not far behind, and they have steered toward digitalization to a significant extent. As a business owner or a manager working in this industry, you understand that nothing beats the power of quality services with a personalized touch. Providing senior living communities’ residents with a plethora of enhancements will give you the competitive advantage you need.
Author: Written by Martin Nikolaev. Martin has 5+ years of experience in reviewing various tech gadgets, FinTech solutions, crypto markets and products, and all IoT-related products.
What are the key benefits of utilizing POS for senior living communities from the residents’ point of view?
Senior living community members would enjoy easy-to-use self-service kiosks, tableside orders, and room orders.
How can you optimize your menus using POS for senior living communities?
Analyzing sales and ordering data history is a great feature to use. It’s the easiest way for you to provide residents with the meals they expect and prefer.
What are the most commonly used peripherals for POS for senior living establishments?
Most senior living communities need POS systems that feature intuitive software and devices, such as checkout tablets and self-service kiosks.
What are the advantages of cloud-based POS for senior living institutions?
Cloud-based POS systems offer greater flexibility and mobility, allowing for an extended range of personalized services based on residents’ preferences and transaction and data history.